My experience with Rousso Facial Plastic Surgery (Ashley Strickland) and her MicroScalp Pigmentation art work is outstanding. I couldn’t believe my eyes after the first appointment( far and way stunning).I can hardly wait for the second appointment. I dream of not wearing a hat daily (kind of silly it may seem to most individuals), but to someone who has suffered from a bad hair transplant for years it’s like receiving a second chance at life as I am 50 years old..... I’m a strength and conditioning coach with a large following of young athletes, so looking my best is vital to my business. Dr.Adams gave me A-first class vision of my scar revision (surgery he will be performing on me)and has my complete confidence and trust. Their office was a breath of fresh air....The professionalism is second to none! I highly recommend their Services! Dave Jacob Owner C360 Sports..
What is scalp micropigmentation (SMP)?
SMP is an empowering and confidence building procedure, considered life-changing by many patients. The procedure is noninvasive and nonsurgical and utilizes some of the smallest needles in the world to exactly place dots of the correctly colored pigment into the epidermal layer of the scalp in the manner that will best mimic the look of one’s natural hair growth with a shaved or buzz haircut. SMP doesn’t spur on actual hair growth but, rather, provides a very natural-looking and convincing illusion that one has thicker or fuller hair, or has hair at all. Because it presents so naturally, SMP is a viable and popular option for persons with thinning hair, a receding hairline, patchy hair, or no hair at all.
Scalp micropigmentation is most often done over a series of three treatments, each of which takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and uses a gradual technique to ensure maximum consistency and the correct density of hair follicles. Treatments are scheduled out over a couple weeks to reach the maximum result. The majority of the pigment will be deposited in the first session, followed by adding shading and definition in the second, and finally followed by a third treatment where any necessary adjustments and enhancements are done.
The SMP procedure can take a patient currently presenting with a 6 or 7 on the Norwood Scale, and give that person the illusion of having hair, complete with temples and a hair line. It can also last as long as 7 to 10 years.
What are the benefits of SMP?
Some of the benefits of SMP are:
- SMP pigment is available in a full range of shades to match all skin tones.
- With SMP you can choose your own hair line. Your SMP practitioner at Rousso Facial Plastic Surgery will have you choose 1 of 3 styles of hairline, from “Soft” or “Broken,” giving the most natural look possible, to “Medium,” which closely matches your original hairline; and “Defined,” for a sharp and freshly cut look that usually presents more youthfully.
- SMP is suitable for both men and women, and for persons with patchy hair or no hair at all.
- Scalp Micro Pigmentation is cheaper than a hair transplant
- You can combine FUE and SMP, using SMP to darken the scalp.
- Any redness from SMP needle pricks disappear by the next day.
- With SMP you can start with a single session and see how your skin carries the pigment, and in subsequent sessions then flesh it out.
Am I a candidate for SMP?
Scalp micropigmentation is suitable for people of any sex who are experiencing hair loss or hair thining for any reason. Whether suffering from cancer, alopecia, thinning hair, scars from a past treatment or a traumatic event, or male or female pattern baldness, SMP is likely to produce profound cosmetic results. The ideal candidate for SMP is anyone experiencing any balding or thinning in the hair, as well as patients who want to conceal a scar from a hair transplant.
What is after treatment like and will I need downtime?
Because scalp micropigmentation is noninvasive and nonsurgical, depending on their preferences, patients can return to work on the day of or day after the procedure.
SMP isn’t a surgery and most patients do not need anesthesia or pain medication. In terms of pain and discomfort, there isn’t a recovery time or downtime involved.
There are, however, some simple post-procedural guidelines that should be followed in order to get the best results with SMP:
- Shower before your treatments; You will want to keep your scalp free of water and excess sweat for 4 days after the treatment.
- Avoid exposing your scalp to the sun for 4 days by wearing a cap or staying mostly indoors. You’ll want to have your scalp exposed to the sun for no more than an hour — the less exposure, the better the outcome.
- Don’t swim or go to a sauna or steam room for 1-month post-treatment.
- Refrain from heavy exercise for 4 or 5 days following the treatment.
- On the fifth day after your treatment, begin moisturizing your scalp regularly. The less that dry skin is allowed to develop on your scalp, the less the pigment is likely to fade.
Is SMP painful?
You are likely to feel only slight pain and discomfort in the beginning of the first treatment. Most people rate the pain from SMP as a 3 out of 10, and SMP is certainly less painful than getting a tattoo or a hair transplant. SMP uses the smallest needle in the world so excessive pain is very rare. Anesthetics are also available for patients, although most people do not find the need to ask for them.
What is the average cost for treatment
Scalp micropigmentation typically costs between $1,500 and $4,000, depending on the size of the area being treated and the density of the patient’s original hair.
Because no formal training or certification is required for SMP in most states, due diligence on the part of the patient is in order.
Providers should be professional and certified, be visibly practicing good hygiene and should unpackage new needles in front of the patient. SMP also requires some hours to perform so if your practitioner appears rushed or has multiple patients scheduled for the same day, these are not promising signs and you would be wise to reconsider your provider.
Why should I choose Rousso Facial Plastic Surgery for SMP?
Scalp micropigmentation is a fine blend between action and aesthetics, in that while many practitioners can work a needle, the fact is the outcome of SMP depends on a lot more than that. The way SMP presents comes down to a number of nuances and fine points that will be the difference between natural and unquestionably convincing, and anything but that.
That outcome is going to depend on a provider who knows that the darker the pigment is compared to the scalp color, the less natural it is going to look; or that a smooth hairline is more natural than a finely drawn line, or when definition and shading have been perfected. Rousso Facial Plastic Surgery is a highly experienced team of professionals who have the experience and personal touch you are looking for.
If you wish to learn more, contact us today and schedule a consultation for arguably the best treatment of scalp micropigmentation Birmingham, AL has to offer.