If you are looking for a quick, minimally invasive treatment to improve smile lines and wrinkling, you may be interested in injectables or dermal fillers (soft tissue fillers). The popularity of BOTOX speaks for itself among the many cosmetic improvement routes available to patients.
These facial rejuvenating injectables offer minimal side effects while providing a more youthful and refreshed appearance. At Rousso Facial Plastic Surgery Clinic in Birmingham, Alabama, BOTOX® Cosmetic provider Daniel E. Rousso and Dr. Austin Adams treat men and women who are experiencing visible signs of aging.
BOTOX Cosmetic Injections
BOTOX Cosmetic, a purified form of Botulinum Toxin A, which comes from bacterial cultures processed into a protein, has been used for many years to treat patients with certain muscular disorders. BOTOX Cosmetic has received a lot of attention as an anti-wrinkle treatment since it is quick, convenient, and has minimal side effects. BOTOX Cosmetic can correct facial lines associated with perioral lines (lip lines), crow’s feet (lines around the eyes), lines between the brows (glabella), and forehead wrinkling.
Wrinkles are formed as the facial muscles contract to laugh, smile or frown. As these muscles contract, grooves are worn into the skin. BOTOX Cosmetic relaxes these facial muscles by attaching to the nerve terminals and blocking the release of a neurotransmitter. This prevents the muscles from contracting and can reduce the forming of wrinkles. BOTOX Cosmetic injections also help to effectively reduce the appearance of severe frown lines between the brows, which are caused by overactive muscles.
Results typically last up to four months, and additional treatment sessions are necessary to maintain results. However, if maintained, patients tend to need less appointments over time due to a natural buildup in collagen that may form with each new injection. Injections are performed by our qualified cosmetic surgeons only. Being a non-surgical procedure, cosmetic injectables typically take about 10 to 15 minutes to apply, and no recovery time is needed upon completion. Normal activities can be resumed immediately after your appointment.
BOTOX Cosmetic, Dysport, XEOMIN, and Jeaveau are all neuromodulators, meaning they relax wrinkles in the areas they treat. They may be injected into the forehead, glabella region (between the eyebrows), and around the eyes to relax the muscles that move the face and cause wrinkles. Any of these neuromodulators will relax this wrinkling for about three to four months per treatment. Dr. Rousso and his team of surgeons are responsible for administering the BOTOX patients rely on for rejuvenation. Contact our office to find out the price differences between all four of these cosmetic injectables. Though all have the same outcome, key differences between these cosmetic injections do exist:
- BOTOX and XEOMIN are FDA approved for treating forehead lines, lines between the brows and crow’s feet
- Jeaveau is the newest wrinkle-relaxer to hit the market and is FDA approved to treat moderate to severe lines between the eyebrows only
- Dysport is FDA approved for treating lines between the eyebrows (glabella) only and is normally only used for moderate to severe cases
- Dysport requires more units of cosmetic injectable than XEOMIN, BOTOX and Jeuveau
- XEOMIN does not contain any protein additives when packaged. Because some patients can develop resistance to additives in BOTOX over time, this cosmetic injectable is ideal for them
- Because BOTOX, Dysport and Jeuveau contain a full complement of protective proteins, they’re heavier than XEOMIN, which causes them to migrate more slowly
- XEOMIN does not contain protective proteins, however less precision is achieved with this cosmetic injectable, and it’s thought to not last as long as the others
What to Expect from Cosmetic Injectables at Rousso Facial Plastic Surgery Clinic
Receiving cosmetic injectables only takes a few minutes, and anesthesia or downtime isn’t needed. Injections are virtually painless since they’re performed with a very fine needle. Results are generally visible within two to ten days. To reduce the possibility of bruising or swelling, patients should avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours, and intake of aspirin/anti-inflammatory medications should cease for two weeks prior to treatment. The treated area should not be manipulated for two hours after injections, and an upright position should be maintained.
Patients interested in BOTOX and cosmetic injectables should discuss their aesthetic goals thoroughly with Dr. Rousso or Dr. Adams during their initial consultation so the doctors can recommend the correct treatment for their unique situations.